Submission to the Prison Review Team on women in conflict with the law
Last Updated: Tuesday, 9 March 2021
The Prison Review Team established by the Department of Justice published its Interim report in February 2011.
In response the Commission made a submission which focused on its concerns about the treatment of women in conlict with the law. It called for -
- a disrete women’s prison on a suitable site
- gender-specific alternatives to custody to reduce the number of remand prisoners
- resourced alternatives to custody
- appropriate diversion from prosecution for women with mental health difficulties
- recognition of the right to education and training in prison as part of reducing offending# and
- adequate funding for work with women in conflict with the law or at risk of offending.