Submission to the Prison Review Team on women in conflict with the law
The Prison Review Team established by the Department of Justice published its Interim report in February 2011.
In response the Commission made a submission which focused on its concerns about the treatment of women in conlict with the law. It called for -
- a disrete women’s prison on a suitable site
- gender-specific alternatives to custody to reduce the number of remand prisoners
- resourced alternatives to custody
- appropriate diversion from prosecution for women with mental health difficulties
- recognition of the right to education and training in prison as part of reducing offending# and
- adequate funding for work with women in conflict with the law or at risk of offending.